Today we have a fun and adorable crab craft for kids. These little paper crabs are so much fun to make and look super cute afterward.
This is great for elementary school aged children to practice their cutting skills. Preschoolers would also have fun with this craft if you help cut the pieces of the crab out before hand.
This crab craft is made using our crab paper template which you can find in our resource library.
You’ll start by cutting out all the pieces like the crabs body, legs, claws and big crabby eyes.
Then fold the crabs body and start gluing in the pieces.
Add a cute face to your crab, and you’ll be all done. The best part is that when your crab craft is finished, they stand up by themselves.
We’ll walk you through each step to make it super easy.
Table of Contents
Crab Craft For Kids Supplies
To make this craft, you’ll need to grab a few supplies. First grab our template from the craft resource library and print it out. Then gather the rest.
- Crab Craft Template (Grab here)
- Colored craft papers (We like reds and oranges, but you can use any color you like for your crabs)
- Pen or black marker
- Craft glue
How to Make the Paper Crab Craft
The crab craft template includes 2 circles (1 big and 1 small), 6 crab legs, 2 claws and 2 pairs of eyes.
Print the template and cut out all the pieces of the crabs. Older kids will like to cut their own, while preschool kids will need some help.
Grab the colored pieces of craft paper you’ll be using for your crab.
Then trace the template pieces on to the colored paper. Cut out the traced pieces.
Next, grab the circles and fold both of them in half. These will be the body of the crab.
Now glue the smaller circle centered over the larger circle, where the folded line meets.
Next, unfold the crabs body to expose the inside. Start attaching legs to each side of the crab like shown in the photo above.
You’ll want all of the legs on just one side of the folded line.
Gluing the legs at least a cm into the body will help make the paper crab more stable when your finished.
Make sure to attach 3 legs on each side of the crab. Attach the claws on both sides gluing them over the legs.
The crab claws should be pointed towards the top side. Make sure to attach all the legs and the claws to the same side of the crab.
You’ll want the crab claws to go above his head.
Wait for the glue to dry, then fold your crab back up.
He should be able to stand alone as shown above.
Now, you can either print out the crabs eyes or cut out the round shapes from white paper and use a black marker to create your own set of eyes.
Finally, attach the eyes on any one side of the closed side of the crabs body.
Attach his eyes by overlapping half of the eye pieces with the crab body pattern. Keeping the rest of the eye pieces raising above the crabs body.
Use your black marker to draw on a cute smile.
And your all done making your cute crab craft!
- Crab craft template
- Colored craft papers
- Craft glue
- Black marker
- Print and cut out all pieces of crab template, including 2 circles, 6 legs, 2 claws and 2 sets of eyes. Trace the template pieces on to colored craft paper and cut each piece out.
- Fold circle pieces in half.
- Glue smaller circle over larger circle along the folded line
- Unfold the crabs body exposing the inside, get ready to start attaching legs to both sides of one side of the folded half.
- Glue 3 legs to each side of the crab all pointing in the downward direction. After all legs are attached, glue the crab claws pointing above crabs head over your crab legs. Allow to dry.
- Fold body back in half closing in legs.
- Cut out eye pieces or make your own crab eyes from pieces of white paper.
- Attach the eyes to the upper half of the crabs body, allowing half to overlap the edge of the crab like shown in the photo.
When cutting out the circle, use 2 different colors of paper to create a pretty crab shell effect. When gluing in the legs of your crab, try to secure at least a cm of the legs into the body of the crab. This will allow it to be more stable and stand better once you are finished.