What can we say about Frida Kahlo other than she’s amazing. Today we would love to pay her some tribute by creating this Frida Kahlo Craft.
I love teaching our children about artists and strong female role models. So here we get a 2 for one.
This craft is modeled after Kahlo’s likeness and resembles some of her self portraits.
For this craft you’ll need our printable Frida Kahlo template, some craft paper, cardstock and some basic crafting supplies.
Table of Contents
The materials you’ll need:
- Our printable Frida Kahlo Craft Template available in our crafty library.
- Craft paper
- Card sock
- Glitter foam paper (optional)
Craft supplies needed:
- X-acto knife
- Craft glue
Making the Frida Kahlo Craft
First, go grab and print our Frida Kahlo Template out of our crafty resource library.
Then grab some black cardstock or craft paper for Fridas eyebrows, eyes and hair.
Grab red for the lips and her shirt and any color you’d like to choose for her skin tone.
Cut out each piece of Fridas face and body from the printable template and trace them onto your craft paper or cardstock.
Then attach the pieces of her face to the body piece, starting with her hair, and then her facial features.
Next, grab some pretty colored craft papers for the flower headband and her dress.
Trace the flower and spiral patterns onto the colored paper.
To create a flower, take the two pieces of flower cutouts and attach them creating a criss-cross.
Then roll the spiral shape from it’s outer edges toward the middle.
Once the spiral roll reaches the center of the spiral, allow the spiral to loosen slightly.
Glue the rolled part down onto the flower base like shown below, creating a pretty 3D flower for Frida’s headband.
Now, make more of the same paper flowers in different colors to add to her headband. Make sure to cut out a few leaf shapes from green paper to put into the crown.
Next, attach the flowers and leaves onto Frida’s hair creating a beautiful floral crown.
Next, use any color your like of craft paper to trace and cut out her top. You can stop here, or cut out some golden earrings from glitter craft paper.
Really, any colored earrings would look pretty though.
Attach the top and the earrings to finish off your Frida Kahlo craft.
- Printable Frida Kahlo craft template
- Colored craft paper
- Colored cardstock
- Glitter foam paper
- X-acto knife
- Craft glue
- Grab black craft paper or cardstock for the eyebrows, eyes and hair. Then grab some red paper for her lips and any color you prefer for her skin. Print and trace the pieces from the printable template on the selected papers. Cut out the traced pieces using scissors.
- Grabbing the hair and head cutouts, glue her hair on the top side of the head cutout, slotting the head piece into the hairline cut and bring the top side of the ears in front of the hair.
- Now attach Frida's eyebrows, eyes and lips accordingly.
- Choose some colored craft paper for the flowers of her headband and dress. Trace the flower and spiral pieces on the colored craft papers.
- Take the 2 flower cutouts and attach them together criss-cross wise. Then take the spiral cutout and start to roll it from its outer edge toward the center.
- Continue to roll the spiral paper until you reach center of the spiral, then allow the spiral shape to loosen up a bit. Glue the spiral piece onto the other flower parts, creating a 3D flower shape.
- Create a few more flowers from different colors and be sure to cut out some leaf shapes from green paper.
- Attach the paper flowers on the hair of your paper Frida craft.
- Attach the flowers and then attach the leaves between the flowers creating her floral crown. Use colored craft paper to trace and cut out the top. Then use golden or any colored craft paper to cut out the triangle earrings. Attach the top and the earrings to complete the Frida paper craft.
Have fun expressing yourself through color when doing this craft. It's what Frida would want.